[Baypiggies] Pycon for the Bay Area

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 01:55:05 CET 2008

On Jan 20, 2008 4:39 PM, Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2008, Leslie Hawthorn wrote:

> > sponsor PyCon and we're one of the sponsors for PyCon '08.
>
> As I said, the more important question relevant to running PyCon in the
> Bay Area is whether Google (and other local companies) is interested in
> contributing "people points" (for example, people to run registration
> during the conference).

I'll leave that to Leslie to reply to.

> > We also frequently host open source conferences/gatherings at Google,
> > and we'd likely be happy to host the festivities provided that works
> > well for the community.  I'd be happy to talk to folks on or off list
> > about what we could provide were we to host the conference on our
> > campus and how well that would map to your needs.
>
> Currently, PyCon is at a size that fits reasonably well into a large
> business-class hotel, and I would prefer to continue that because having
> conference next to sleeping accomodations tends to foster more
> socializing.  (And my reading is that the rest of the concom agrees.)

I just checked the hotels near Google, and there aren't any. We would
be shuttling from downtown Palo Alto, at best. So we can consider an
evening at Google, or something of the sort, and look at the regular
hotels and convention centers for the main venue.
> --
> Aahz (aahz at pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/
>
> "All problems in computer science can be solved by another level of
> indirection."  --Butler Lampson

Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/