[Baypiggies] Pycon for the Bay Area

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 09:04:26 CET 2008

On Jan 17, 2008 2:31 PM, Alvin Wang <alvinwang at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is anybody interested in trying to bring Pycon to the Bay Area?  I tried to
> do it in 2006 for 2007 but we lost.  It was close but one of the issues was
> that Chicago had a lot more people supporting the bid.

Several current and former Piggies have worked BayCon and other
Science Fiction cons as staff. I Heather Stern, Deirdre Moen at least.
We can talk to the rest of those folks, too. I'll let them know we are
thinking about this. I have worked hotel, and helped out in the
"family-friendly" room with Kymbr Mundstock. We may be able to get her
to help bring in children with XOs, and have them all primed on Pippy.
Charles Merriam's XO hacking society is full of parents of young
children. Some of us are organizing to tackle the schools and
children's museums. Heather has run computer rooms. Deirdre and her
husband Rick have worked in Con programming and other areas.

In other words, yes.

Would Google like to be a sponsor?

> Currently, I am not doing that much Python programming so I am not going to
> work on it.  I see from the net that Pycon 2008 will be in Chicago again.
> If anybody is interested in bidding on Pycon 2009, I suggest that you talk
> to Michelle from the San Mateo Tourism and convention bureau.  She was a big
> help last time.

Thanks.

> Michelle A dle | San Mateo County C & VB | Tel: 1.800.288.4748 | E -Mail:
> mailto:michelle at smccvb.com | Web: http://www.VisitSanMateoCounty.com
>
> Alvin Wang

Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/