[Baypiggies] py2exe. Python(x,y). Distribution issues.

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Mon Apr 28 18:59:25 CEST 2008

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008, m h wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 7:44 PM, Stephen McInerney
> <spmcinerney at hotmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

>> - virtualenv sounds useful, anyone have experience with it? Does it extend
>> to foreign
>> dependencies (e.g. C++/Fortran libs)?
>
> At this point, you really want a package manager, rather than the
> python centric distutils world.  To get around this at my previous
> company we started using (and contributing to) gentoo-prefix [0].
> (You can think of it as a sandboxed package manager similar to fink or
> openpkg that runs on a posix (linux/macos/solaris/) box in it's own
> directory.

That sounds pretty neat.  For comparison, Debian also provides a program
called debootstrap that is used to create Debian chroot environments.  It
probably doesn't work on any POSIX system, though, just Linux ones - but
it does work on pretty much any glibc+Linux system you can find.

> If you want to take it a step further then you are into the vmware/xen
> realm.

I want to just make a personal note that I prefer Linux Vserver because it
feels lighter-weight to me.  It is slightly more flexible than Xen/VMWare
because Xen and VMWare require you to manage RAM sizes of your guests,
whereas vserver can be just used as a "container" to prevent different
virtual systems from seeing each other - but resources are shared between
the vservers and your main machine as usual.

-- Asheesh.

--
Nasrudin walked into a teahouse and declaimed, "The moon is more useful
than the sun."