[Baypiggies] py2exe. Python(x,y). Distribution issues.

Stephen McInerney spmcinerney at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 25 03:44:57 CEST 2008

Yes these are separate issues to SCons per se, but thematically related.

I'm talking about multiple things (especially with Windows installers, but also in general):

- can I install package X, give my existing libraries and packages?
- will it clobber my environment? (e.g overwrite the path or assume it is free to overwrite
  anything in the install-tree of the current Python install, often without backing-up?)
- do I have conflicting versions? must I first upgrade/deinstall dependency package D?
- after I've installed, how do I go about installing an update of package D.2?
  (/can I? am I stuck with that version until a new version of my package X comes out)
- what enhances are needed in distutils framework to support automating these things?
  http://docs.python.org/dist/dist.html
- can package Y coexist with X, if they use different versions of anything?
- is the installer graceful enough to detect these issues upfront and warn me, or does it
simply fall over halfway through or worse still, break my existing install?
- I discussed with the scientific users at the April meeting, they say these are real issues
- if users start writing cross-platform scientific apps using Python, this stuff will pop up.

- virtualenv sounds useful, anyone have experience with it? Does it extend to foreign
dependencies (e.g. C++/Fortran libs)?

Stephen