[Baypiggies] daemonize

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Apr 10 17:09:27 CEST 2008

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 9:45 AM, Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 05, 2008, Shannon -jj Behrens wrote:
>  > The Python Cookbook has a pretty good module for daemonizing a
>  > process.  It's not something that's likely to change, since this
>  > procedure has been the same for a decade or longer.  Has anyone
>  > brought up the idea of including it in the standard library?  I'm
>  > actually pretty surprised it's not there already.
>
>  There's been some discussion of adding a pyprocess module similar to the
>  threading library -- it probably should go with that.  As always, patches
>  are welcome.  ;-)

Hm. AFAIK the pyprocessing package is still in active development, and
I'd be reluctant to essentially "freeze" it by inclusion into the
stdlib.

The daemonize module IMO isn't all that related to pyprocessing; it's
a very specific Unix thing that only a small number of developers ever
need. (I know -- I wrote one for Zope that still lives on in some form
or another, but since then I've rarely had the need.) However, given
that daemonize contains lots of little tricks that are hard to get
right, it *might* qualify for inclusion, assuming it represents best
practices without going too far into featuritis. The Python Cookbook
tends to get both qualities right.