[Baypiggies] concurrency talk

David Reid dreid at dreid.org
Mon Sep 17 19:14:59 CEST 2007

On Sep 17, 2007, at 2:48 AM, Shannon -jj Behrens wrote:

> Someone hinted at this idea earlier, but it might be fun to have an
> overview discussion on a bunch of different concurrency techniques.
> We could have a bunch of speakers, each speaking for 15 minutes on a
> specific topic.

I'm inclined to think that 15 minutes isn't long enough to really
introduce any one of these topics to someone who is new to dealing
with concurrency.  Though I would be interested in series of full
length meetings dealing with concurrency perhaps culminating in some
sort of round table discussion.

The fact of the matter is, there is no general solution to
concurrency, especially in Python where concurrency frameworks seem
to be the new web framework.  Also like web frameworks anyone who has
an interesting opinion on the subject has already decided that their
way is the best and is often under the delusion that it's a general
solution.

That being said, I'd be very interested in hearing other peoples
strong opinions on the subject as long as they are accompanied by
practical experience solving specific problems.  Specifically I'm
interested in hearing someone speak on Parallel Python, greenlets and
Erlang.  In exchange for any of these topics I'd be willing to give a
Twisted talk, though at this point in time I'm completely unable to
commit to a specific date that isn't  _at_least_ 3 months out.

I'm also inclined to disagree that we shouldn't try to discuss how to
actually use these things.  Learning the practical limitations of the
implementation of the thing you want to use right now to accomplish
some task seems a lot more interesting to me than learning the
theoretical limitations of it.

-David