[Baypiggies] Guido's Blog: It isn't Easy to Remove the GIL

Andy Wiggin andywiggin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 02:01:00 CEST 2007

I thought the discussion was very interesting. I think true parallel
programming is the challenge of our time, so I'm quite disappointed
that the Python powers that be do not seem to feel any imperative to
address it. I've always been kind of assuming that Python would
provide a "pythonic" parallel programming paradigm that would "just
work" and be as elegant as the rest of the language.

Regarding the non-modifiable data idea, Python already provide "set"
and "frozenset". Maybe the same sort of arrangement could be done with
dicts, instances, etc. Then you could pass frozen objects between
threads.

-Andy