[Baypiggies] Wanted: a few good C/C++/Python developers

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Fri Oct 12 00:38:29 CEST 2007

On Thu, Oct 11, 2007, bjorn at ambientchill.com wrote:

> Just as a disclaimer, I'm not interested in the job, I just have a
> question for Baypiggies related to this email. It seems like most jobs
> for Python require some kind of extensive C or C++ background. Is this
> true? I am a JavaScript developer and I'm happy with what I do, but
> someday, maybe in a few years, I wouldn't mind finding a Python
> development position.

My current job is rather jack-of-all-trades -- my company just hired its
tenth employee and I'm one of five developers.  We don't have any
sysadmins, so all devs do double-duty or more (I also do a lot of
front-line support, as do most of the devs).  The skills needed for a
developer in my company include:

Python
Linux sysadmin
SQL
HTML
JavaScript
Java

The HTML and JavaScript are mostly embedded in our ancient and somewhat
homebrewed web templating system.  There's also some ColdFusion.
Overall, to the extent that I spend my time programming rather than
support or QA or sysadmin or docs -- it's about 70% Python/SQL, 20%
templating, and 10% other stuff.

The best way to get information on Usenet is not to ask a question, but
to post the wrong information.