[Baypiggies] Dreaming in Code

Alex Martelli aleax at google.com
Sat Mar 3 01:24:35 CET 2007

On 3/2/07, Robert Taylor <rob at pcnt.com> wrote:

>  I recently had the pleasure of reading "Dreaming in Code" by Scott
> Rosenberg.
>

> He explores the question of why large software projects are so difficult,
> and uses the Open Source Applications Foundation's "Chandler" project as a
> case study. I enjoyed the book, for its review of software development, the
> specific history of Chandler, and interesting anecdotes from computing
> history. The book does not pretend to offer any simple solutions, but does
> raise interesting questions, and entertains along the way.
>

> What did you think of this book?

It's an important read: it's important to realize that problems (feature
creep, slippage) can and do happen to good project (ones with good people
and several good choices of technologies and approaches).  We (collectively,
as a profession) need to learn from our (collective) mistakes, and mistakes
made by skilled people who have avoided many obvious pitfalls can be
particularly instructive.

Alex