[Baypiggies] New List Admin? (was Re: Fwd: Request to mailing list Baypiggies rejected)

Doug Landauer zia at cruzio.com
Thu Jan 11 09:24:14 CET 2007

On Jan 10, 2007, at 4:19 PM, Mike Cheponis wrote:
> I propose we remove Aahz from running the BayPiggies list.
> Anybody else agree?  Clean house in 2007?

No.  It's difficult enough to find competent volunteer help for an
organization like BayPIGgies.  IMHO public calls for removal,
especially from a vocal minority, just make it less likely that anyone
will step forward.

> I'm sure Mr. Aahz is a fine, upstanding gentleman, but I've -never-
> seen him at a meeting  ...

FWIW, I have seen him at several BayPIGgies meetings.

> Now, I could be talked into calming down and realizing this was just a
> bonehead move by a novice email admin...

Precisely the opposite -- it was default mailman behavior, and Aahz as
moderator is about as far from novice as anyone I know (except maybe
John Levine, comp.compilers moderator).

Suggestion to Russell W., if you should see this message:  if you do
add a new email list to a message, SAY SO IN THE BODY of the message.
People tend not to notice cc's -- in general, not to read any headers
except From and Subject.  I personally don't think announcement-style
crossposting is such a problem, as long is it is made noticeably
explicit in the message body.  And I'd like to hear Brett's talk, if it
does end up organizing itself :-)

   -- Doug Landauer
      (Former admin of nexus at apple.com, circa early 1997 during the
merger with NeXT)