[Baypiggies] Fwd: Request to mailing list Baypiggies rejected

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Jan 10 22:23:12 CET 2007

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007, Russell Whitaker wrote:

> So, the listowner has made the decision that cross-posting to other
> lists is not permitted then?
>
> Look, I'm trying to get something going that involves both the
> capabilities security community and the Python community.  This is
> related to a specific attempt to assist both.  This rejection seems a
> bit hidebound and unnecessary to me.

The problem -- as I already said -- is that cross-posting between mailing
lists means that the people who reply to your messages will get caught by
the requirement to be a list subscriber in order for their messages to be
seen.  (This requirement courtesy of spam.)  It just doesn't work unless
a large proportion of people are already on both mailing lists -- and
even then it can be irritating as people get multiple copies of messages.

There are two reasonably good ways to handle this:

* If the topic is particularly relevant to one mailing list, send an
invitation to the other mailing list(s) inviting them to subscribe

* If the topic doesn't have a good home, create a new mailing list and
invite everyone to join

"Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose."