[Baypiggies] Discussion for newbies/beginner night talks

Paul McNett p at ulmcnett.com
Sat Feb 10 17:14:16 CET 2007

Aahz wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 09, 2007, Dennis Reinhardt wrote:
>> You illustration does not show how a long triple quoted string gets
>> supplied with parameters.  Stylistically, I often prefer substituting
>> parameters on a line by line basis because there is better locality, making
>> the code easier to understand and read.

How about this contrived example:

def getHeader(self, **kwargs):
	html = """<!-- BOF header -->

<head>
	<title>%(title)s</title>
</head>

%(navigation_bar)s

<!-- EOF header -->
"""
	return html % kwargs

> Strings like SQL and HTML that do not normally get presented to the user
> don't need to care about whitespace AT ALL.

I think that with longish triple-quoted strings, ignoring the code
indentation is the best. But that's me.

--
pkm ~ http://paulmcnett.com