[Baypiggies] [Fwd: Re: Discussion for newbies/beginner night talks]

Michael Bernstein webmaven at cox.net
Sat Feb 10 06:05:43 CET 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 17:21 -0800, Dennis Reinhardt wrote:
> At 05:05 PM 2/9/2007, Paul McNett wrote:
>
> >I respectfully disagree. Take this example:
> >
> >class MyBizobj(...):
> >         def getCustomerInfo(self, cust_id):
> >                 sql = """
> >select customers.name as name,
>
> This starts with an empty line.  I believe this can be changed by
>
>                  sql = \
> """select customers.name as name,
>
> Which then breaks up the SQL, albeit only slightly.

I recently came across some code that used this convention:

        a = StringIO("""\
blah blah blah
            """)

which takes care of the leading extra line.

Or, I found this useful function a couple of years ago that strips the
leading and trailing blank lines and eliminates the *common* extra
indentation at the beginning of lines in a multiline string, so you
could add the extra whitespace needed to make it look OK within the code
without sacrificing the indenting that was actually part of the string's
formatting:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/145672

HTH,

- Michael R. Bernstein