[Baypiggies] PyCon follow-up

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Mar 14 16:43:25 CET 2006

On 3/13/06, w chun <wescpy at gmail.com> wrote:
> notice the geographic locations of where people want future PyCon
> events held... the Bay Area ranks at the top (if you add all the Bay
> Area cities [SF, SJ, "Bay Area"] together). tony might just get his
> wish yet.  :-)

The only way this is going to happen is if the bay area Python users,
in "get the Olympics to our city" style (but without the corruption
:-), put together a realistic proposal to host it. The PSF doesn't
have the resources to review many different location options; a strong
proposal has a great likelihood to "win". That's how Dallas got the
conference in 2006 and 2007 -- there were only three proposals to
begin with and two of those evaporated before being fully worked out.
There's time -- the PSF has a two-year contract with the Dallas hotel
so the first time that's open is 2008. If people are interested I'd be
happy to provide more input on what makes a good proposal (IMO).