[Baypiggies] list mail and gmail ?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Jun 20 02:07:30 CEST 2006

On Jun 19, 2006, at 2:15 PM, steve hindle wrote:

> On 6/19/06, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>> I rarely bother to edit the CC line, and please don't do it because
>> you worry about my getting two copies of the message -- gmail
>> recognizes that they are two copies of the same thing (since they
>> have
>> the same message-id header) and only shows me one.
>>

> Interesting point... I wonder how many other mail clients have that
> particular 'smarts' built-in?
> Though two copies of the email still get sent - so it doesn't help
> with bandwidth/server load etc.  I guess these days, thats not as much
> of a problem though - fat pipes and fast machines are a lot more
> common then just a few years ago.

Many aren't that smart, but often times it's not such a big deal to
get two copies of messages for threads that you're involved in (if
you filter messages, anyway). My client sorts mail into different
imap boxes based on list-id header, so for threads that I've
participated in I get one copy in my list mailbox which I don't check
very often and another copy in your inbox which I check much more
regularly.

Additionally, mailing lists can be quite slow or even down
(sourceforge is an extreme case of this). The reply-to-sender
behavior lets you go ahead and continue the thread at a normal pace
until things are back to normal with the list.

-bob