[Baypiggies] list mail and gmail ?

Alex Martelli aleax at google.com
Mon Jun 19 21:42:00 CEST 2006

On 6/19/06, Dennis Reinhardt <DennisR at dair.com> wrote:

> At 11:24 AM 6/19/2006, Alex Martelli wrote:
> My "workaround" is always to use reply-to-all --
> I like it when other people do that,
>
> Alex,
>
> Does this result in you getting two message copies?  It does for me and
> perhaps this is an artifact of the mail system I am using.

Yes, depending on the receiving system I can get one copy or two, but on
Mail.app I can explicitly make a second copy when needed (to have one copy
in the mail mailbox that's for "stuff addressed to me diretly and
personally", and one in the other, "stuff from this mailing list" mbox) and
in gmail I don't need it anyway (since each message can have as many labels
as I want, it can be "in" as many ``mailboxes'' as I want;-).

I have always tried to trim out individual responses for this reason and
> reply to the list alone.
>
> I can see how "To: aleax and Cc: BayPiggies" is a useful filter rule.

the "to: aleax" would ensure it gets in my "look at these ASAP" main mailbox
(unless preempted by other rules blocking it from there), and the Cc: (just
like the To:) for the mlist would ensure it gets in the "baypiggies"
mailbox.  If it only goes in the latter, NP, I may not just get around to it
quite as promptly;-).

Alex