[Baypiggies] Python help

Ken Seehart ken at seehart.com
Mon Jul 17 06:21:11 CEST 2006

I don't know exactly how much knowledge you have of unix and windows, so
I will assume /almost zero/ knowledge.  That way I will have a good
chance of filling in whatever detail is missing.  I am also assuming you
are using Windows XP.

You will need to have python.exe in your execution path.  This allows
you to run python from the command line.
To do this:
  Open your control panel (from the start menu)
  Select "System"
  Select the "Advanced" tab
  Select "Environment variables"
  Under the "System variables" list, select "Path"
  Edit the path: At the end of the path, add *"; C:\Python24"*, assuming
you have installed python 2.4 to that location.
 (I think it would be nice if the Python installer would do this, since
there is no reason to expect Windows users to know how to do this kind
of configuration.)

Run cmd by selecting "Run" from the startup menu.

You should now have a command window.
  Change directory to where you want to play with python.
  Create and edit the test_input.txt file.
  Type "python simple_markup.py < test_input.txt > test_output.html"

The "$" at the beginning of your example is the Unix shell prompt, so
you don't need to type it.