[Baypiggies] {Baypiggies] Python support in ubuntu

Donovan Preston dp at ulaluma.com
Wed Jan 4 21:46:23 CET 2006

On Jan 4, 2006, at 11:57 AM, John J. Dooley wrote:
> I just switched to the ubuntu linux distribution and noticed it has
> exceptional Python support. The latest (5.10) comes with Python 2.4.2
> already installed and it has installable packages ready for many
> (almost a
> hundred?) well selected packages in recent revisions. This is saving
> countless frustrations over my previous Suse 9.2 distribution.
>
> I would be interested in learning more about the strong connection
> between
> Python and the Ubuntu distribution. Does anyone in our community
> has some
> inside information?

Ubuntu is heavily funded by Mark Shuttleworth, a well-known Python
advocate and generally froody guy. He supports other projects built
with Python, such as SchoolTool. I think he claims he made most of
his money thanks to Python so it's not a surprise that Ubuntu is such
a Python-friendly distro.

dp