[Baypiggies] {Baypiggies] Python support in ubuntu

Alex Martelli aleax at google.com
Wed Jan 4 22:56:12 CET 2006

On 1/4/06, John J. Dooley <jxd6 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I would be interested in learning more about the strong connection between
> Python and the Ubuntu distribution. Does anyone in our community has some
> inside information?

Ubuntu was "preannounced" (not by name) by Mark Shuttleworth in his
keynote speech at Europython 2004; Martijn Fassen on the Europython
mailing list later summarized that speech (on a thread about who to
invite as keynote speakers for EP 2005) as "Mark Shuttleworth's talk
had a nice mix of space, python, and new linux distributions (with
good python support)".  As I recall Mark's long-term ambitions were
higher than "good python support", basically enabling somebody, say a
schoolmaster in a remote African village, to do ALL system
administration and customization knowing _only_ Python as their
scripting language (no knowledge whatsoever of tcl, perl, bash, etc,
required for the purpose); but maybe (my memory's uncertain) that
wasn't at Mark's keynote, but later during the conference dinner.

Alex