[Baypiggies] Official Language War Thread? - Rails vs.Turbogears.

Alex Martelli aleax at google.com
Thu Dec 1 21:52:50 CET 2005

On 12/1/05, Deirdre Saoirse Moen <deirdre at deirdre.net> wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2005, at 12:12 PM, Jimmy Retzlaff wrote:
>
> > I think both of these languages are good enough that it comes down to
> > which one fits your way of thinking better so that you can spend more
> > time thinking about the problem domain rather than the language -
> > for me
> > that's certainly Python.
>
> Exactly. For me, it's Ruby, though before I knew Ruby, Python was
> much closer than any other language out there.

...and for me, it's close to a tie (of course, I know Python much
better, but I'm trying to factor out "familiarity", as that would soon
change if I were to use Ruby heavily for a month or two): some Ruby
things (such as calling methods w/o parentheses) irk me strongly (and
familiarity won't change that -- I hated this just as much in other
languages allowing such omission of parentheses, such as Basic and
Perl, even when I used them heavily), but then I also still dislike
some Python things no matter how perfectly I know them (namely,
parentheses being mandatory in the header of a function w/o arguments
BUT forbidden in the header of a class w/o bases -- heavy syntactic
overloading of parentheses and commas -- mandatory colons at end of
head clauses of composite statements)...

Alex