[Baypiggies] Official Language War Thread? - Rails vs. Turbogears.

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Thu Dec 1 11:46:42 CET 2005

On Dec 1, 2005, at 12:10 AM, Rich Bodo wrote:

> Ruby:
>
> Ruby itself is interesting.  Most people love to write very tersely,
> but it still looks clean to me.

A lot of Ruby is very, very readable.

I especially like why's approach in this chapter:
http://www.poignantguide.net/ruby/chapter-3.html

> Personally, I would never write something like that, but even though
> it is written as tersely as the author could manage, I can understand
> it.  The iterator/code block syntax is probably not familiar to the
> Python programmer, but they are the first thing you learn in Ruby.

One of the examples from the above chapter:

     ['toast', 'cheese', 'wine'].each { |food| print food.capitalize }

> Rails:
>
> Rails, however, is where the aesthetic broke down for me.  Mainly
> because I have always recoiled from the popular practice of mixing
> code and markup together that is so pervasive in the Rails community.
> I'm having a hard time accepting it.

This is one of the things many Rails people (myself included) like
about Rails.

Whereas the Python approach, to cope with the issue of indentation,
has veered more toward templating, which I like less.

I genuinely think it's one of those personal taste things. For
example, before I found Rails, I worked in PHP, because I found it
more to my liking than doing web work in Python (though I've done
some of that, too). Rails is way cleaner to me than PHP.

> TurboGears:
>
> First thing I noticed is that, IMHO, the TG folk have a better website
> than the RoR folk (but they are both awesome for community porjects).

Interestingly, both are hosted by TextDrive, though in different data
centers.

--
_Deirdre                                             http://deirdre.net