[BangPypers] Mailing list etiquette

Jeffrey Jose jeffjosejeff at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 16:57:11 CEST 2014

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 8:13 PM, Anand Chitipothu <anandology at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 2:23 PM, Noufal Ibrahim KV <noufal at nibrahim.net.in>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 04 2014, Jeffrey Jose wrote:
>>
>> > I agree with almost all of it, except for these 2.
>> >
>> > 1. No HTML emails
>>
>> I don't like HTML emails because usual textual matter doesn't need
>> it. It simply bloats things and if the renderer your client is using
>> doesn't have some feature that the sender uses, it'll appear broken.
>>

> I agree. We don't need HTML emails.

​Interesting point. Although along the expected lines.

> > 2. No attachments.
>>
>> This makes sense for a list because, as I understand it, the list server
>> has to send a copy of the attachment to everyone on the list. It's an
>> avoidable expense. A lot simpler to send a link to something on dropbox
>> or somewhere.
>>

> Not only that, it is a pain to download something and open it in some
> application just to know what is inside. It is a lot better to send a link
> instead of sending attachments.

​I hate just as much as you to touch the mouse when I'm working, but that
said I wonder in the rapidly changing new world of development (read:
github) how much of these "we're used to this way, so lets continue that"
will survive.

email etiquette are about respect. Respect to the person receiving your
email. I get it.
That said, I do think the whole mailing list culture will go away in the
future.

I dont know what it is, but maybe someone reading this will create a better
(and more relevant) alternative.