[BangPypers] Python Monk - Learn Python in your browser

Anand B Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 07:48:12 CET 2013

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Balachandran Sivakumar <
benignbala at gmail.com> wrote:

>      I haven't gone through the entire book. But it would be nice to
> have idiomatic programming intorduced as well. I find people(beginners
> mostly, but others as well) looping through lists the "C-way" .i.e
>
> for i in range(len(list)):
>     print list[i]
>
> style of programming. It would be nice to teach idomatic python, right
> from the beginning. Thanks

Nice thought. Raymond gave a talk on Idiomatic Python Programming at
this year's PyCon U.S. You might be interested in it.

https://speakerdeck.com/pyconslides/transforming-code-into-beautiful-idiomatic-python-by-raymond-hettinger

I myself have been thinking of this aspect of late and has been working
on a few iPython notebooks where I take one aspect of Python and show
examples of unpythonic and pythonic code using them - like lists,
dictionaries,
attribute access etc.

This is a work in progress. I plan to give a talk on it in one of the
meetups
and if it goes well, in PyCon India later this year.

--
Regards,

--Anand