[BangPypers] Python for a college kid..

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at nibrahim.net.in
Fri Mar 30 05:15:42 CEST 2012

Bhavya <bhavya.mayur at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am looking for some information & advice on Python jobs &
> internships in Bangalore. My brother will be passing out of college
> with a degree in information science & engineering this
> semester. Unfortunately, his grades are bad.
>
> I work with a start up in Montreal & we are python crazy,Though I am
> not on development side, I have been singing praises about web
> development & python to him. He is learning python right now - he is
> been on Zed Shaw's Learn python the hard way & on Udacity's course.

Zed Shaw is a good teacher. I think he's picked a good book to work
through.

> So, here is what I wanted to know - are there any entry level
> internships dealing with python & web development in Bangalore ? How
> much do academics matter to get into any of these ?

I think there are small companies in Bangalore (and possibly other
cities) that are open to the idea of taking smart kids as interns. They
*might* not pay too well but I think that's okay as long as the kid
understands that he's being paid lesser than the market rate. I'm not
sure if this will affect his later salaries though. The larger
companies, atleast in my experience, have become so laden with
bureaucratic barnacle that to simply apply for an internship is a bit of
a chore in itself.

The other thing is that a lot of college students these days get exposed
to "real world" software development via. free software. Along with more
structured programs like the Google summer of code, they have a lot of
ways other than grades to prove their mettle to prospective
employers. This is double edged. It magnifies the differences between
the students so smart kids get a greater advantage earlier on while
average ones who stick to the purely academic line lose out a little.

> Any advice and/or help will be much appreciated.

So, in summary, my advice would be for your brother to get involved in
some free software work. This will give him a bit of a reputation if he
pulls it off. Then connect with the startup and tech communities in
Bangalore and other cities. I think something will come his way.

Good luck to him!

[...]

--
~noufal
http://nibrahim.net.in

A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on. Include me out. -Samuel Goldwyn