[BangPypers] [JOB] - Yahoo!

hemant gethemant at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 15:09:13 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 6:22 PM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sriram Narayanan <sriramnrn at gmail.com> writes:
>

> [...]
>

>> I feel that poking fun at any company's business is in extremely
>> disgusting taste. This was done once about Thoughtworks (the company I
>> work with) on this very mailing list.
>
> Agreed but that is a separate issue.
>
> However, that doesn't address the issue of a recruitment person from a
> company using the list merely as a hiring resource for a non python job.

As a Rubyist, I am really surprised at - so much anger for a legit job
posting, just because it did not had 'Python' keyword in its
description.

I can't obviously speak for everyone, but I believe there is no such
thing as Python Job or Ruby Job - for 90% of exciting programming jobs
out there.  Ideally, what the community should do is, set out a
guideline for a legit job posting such as:

- Does it have [JOB] or something in subject, so as people can steer
clear if they want?
- Does it exactly say, what the requirements are and for which company?
- Does it mention location?
- It should not sound phony.

If a job posting matches all of the above, it is all good. However, as
a community if everyone agrees, one can add:

- Must mention Python as keyword in job posting.

But then, every recruiter will add that anyways. What does a recruiter
want, more keywords!