[BangPypers] [JOB] - Yahoo!

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 13:48:32 CEST 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 5:00 PM, Sudheer Satyanarayana <
sudheer.s at sudheer.net> wrote:

>  To put the matter straight, Lokesh works in TA at Y! and
>> he had asked my help to post an opening in the list. I mentioned
>> that this is a Python list, but scripting languages like Perl, Python
>> etc do have a lot of similarities  (Ask me, I am a Python coder at
>> heart but right now my bread is coming through Perl here).  A lot
>> of the skills at a high level are quite similar whether finally you
>> end up coding in Python, Perl or PHP.
>>
> Try posting a Python job ad to a Perl, Ruby or PHP list.

Cut the heat. IMHO it was a problem with the wording of the posting
by the OP. If he had been more diplomatic and sugar-coated his
posting, most of you would have remained silent.

See this post on the bangalore-rug list. It mentions ruby only once
and among many other skills.

https://groups.google.com/group/bangalorerug/browse_thread/thread/30d3e3dc6cdd8974/ead6b725a2c8e55e?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=job#ead6b725a2c8e55e

Nobody cribbed.

> On the other hand, try abstracting the concept. Someone who is good in one
> scripting language might be good in another. Someone good in one programming
> language might be good in another. By that argument, if you are looking for
> a Java programmer you can post your job ad in a C language list. If you
> extend the argument, you can post the ad in an technology related list for
> that matter.

Actually you can if  you word it carefully like the link I mentioned.

> I agree with Noufal here. This is pure spam. There are enough job portals
> available for free. The OP should be directed to such websites. I don't want
> to see PHP, Ruby, Perl, C or other programming language related job ads here
> unless it is directly related to Python.

Yes, he was not smart enough to say "Python" as one of the skills in his
posting.
That is what you are cribbing about ?

Advocacy is good, it shouldn't turn into zealotry.

> --
>
> With warm regards,
> Sudheer. S
> Personal home page - http://www.sudheer.net/about