[BangPypers] Suggestion for GUI

Narendra Sisodiya narendra at narendrasisodiya.com
Mon Jan 10 21:01:15 CET 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 1:00 AM, steve <steve at lonetwin.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On 01/11/2011 12:27 AM, Narendra Sisodiya wrote:
>
>> On
>>

>>>  In fact, afaict from your responses of coming up with imaginative

>>> help/discussion
>>>  on that but people started talking in-general and teaching license
>>> classes.
>>>  this irritated me.
>>>

> Well, in that case the irritation stems out of your misunderstanding of
> /why/ they were speaking of licenses. To aid your understanding of the
> implications of the license were being demonstrated by comparing different
> licenses.
>

>   I said -  I am writing my a code which is close source and I have not
>>> given
>>>  any rights to user. {i am against it but I am just making an example}
>>>  Now, I am not distributing PyQT to users. All I am given a close source
>>>  application which won't run without PyQt.
>>>

> Here in lies the problem. When you distributed your PyQt based closed
> source application, you have already distributed PyQt ! ...since at
> somepoint in your code you are calling 'import PyQt'

SuperLike... First most constructive post from last 2-3 days on bangpyper..
That's exactly is my question.
I am saying, that I have not installed any PyQT on my system and I am not
using Python atall. {to other, please assume for GOD sake}
I have purchased a book on PyQT. and now I am writing my code using text
editor and i am not using PyQT atall.
Now I just want to do any thing with my code..
GPL + public release + nonprofit
GPL + for profit
Close software + non- profit  -- freeware
Close software + for profit -- proprietary software

My user are downloading PyQT and running my .py files...

> and AFAIK all tools that convert python code to an binary 'exe' format
> essentially create some sort of isolated python environment including just
> the modules required and then compress it up as a self-extracting and
> installing executable.
>
>  Users are downloading PyQT.
>>

> This will not be used by your closed source binary because the binary will
> use a custom python (think in terms similar to virtualenv) with a custom
> PYTHONPATH.

I will learn on it, till now, I am just making and running py files. no idea
about binary part exactly.

>   So In this process did I made any copyright infringement... I was
>>> expecting
>>>  yes or no kind of answer.
>>>

> The answer then is yes.

Same question with more detailed explanation.

>   I gave a clear example.. I am unable to notice any copyright infringement
>>>  in it.
>>>

> ...well there is and this is where the discussion about PyQt GPL Vs
> PySide's LGPL is relevant.

I never said about this, Infact my first question what on Which GUI lib to
be used..
So people can share what they worked on it,,,

>>>  I was asking like this - how does it matter Compiler I am using , I can
>> use
>> Propitiatory License IDE too - I can license my code to any license at my
>> will. How the decision of my code's license depends on Compilers License.
>> for me libraries are also a tool. I am just using them for code building.
>> As
>> long as I am not giving a bundled close solution to user, I need not to
>> worry about commercial license to do it. But I am not bundling them.
>>

> You should learn how libraries work. Libraries are not just a compile time
> thing. When you 'link' against a library, the binary gets a reference to
> where to 'load' the library at runtime. This is the reason why even if you
> don't intend to do devel work, you cannot run some applications in linux
> without installing the dependent libraries (as opposed to when you do intend
> to do devel work, you install the -devel packages).
>
> (dodging the pedants: yes I know of static linking but I am trying to keep
> it simple here).
>
> So, when you distribute a close source python app., your exe will also
> include the library that your application needs to load at runtime.
>

>  , I am
>> just giving my application to some license, how does this decision depends
>> on license of libraries. I might be wrong at some where in my fundas or
>> unable to grab the "requirement" that why should one buy commercial
>> license
>> of PyQt. So  I  asked this question. I think it was very much clear from
>> my
>> post . If not, one can ask to clarify what I want to know..
>> Posting/Replying on  what license to use, what license gives what and one
>> can sell GPL code too etc and so many other things some guys replied. That
>> gave me strong irritation.
>>

> I hope my reply didn't give you strong irritation. If what I wrote made
> sense to you go back to the thread and re-read it, you'll see a natural flow
> there about the discussion based on the assumption that you know how
> libraries work.

Thanks Steve for Guiding me..

--
│    Narendra Sisodiya