[BangPypers] BangPypers meeting February 2011

Venkatraman S venkat83 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 18:05:50 CET 2011

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 10:30 PM, Santosh Rajan <santrajan at gmail.com> wrote:

> My 2 cents before you jump into the nosql bandwagon.
>
> 1) If sql works for you, stick with it. RDBMS's like postgeSQL, MySQL
> will not wake you up in the middle of the night with a crash.
> 2) If you have scaling problems, add some horse power to you hardware,
> battery backed RAID, and solid state hard drives are good for you.
> (Prices have come down in the last year or two).
> 3) Disk space is cheap. Avoid joins while using sql as far as
> possible. Create additional table to do your indexing and grouping.
> 4) And if you still think you need nosql, god help you.

I agree with this totally. RDBMS works for most of the problems.
W.r.t #3,i have written sql queries involving joins that span2-3 pages
but run in few minutes - note that these are heavy reporting queries;
otherwise, if you understand sql and the fundamentals of rdbms, you should
be having a pretty fast app(whichever that is) in most of the cases.

Jump nosql should not be done, because you fail to understand sql.

-V
http://blizzardzblogs.blogspot.com/