[BangPypers] Naming python packages

Anand Chitipothu anandology at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 06:02:24 CET 2011

Hi,

I've noticed that pip converts underscore in the package name to hyphen.

$ pip install satchmo_indiapost
Downloading/unpacking satchmo-indiapost
  Could not find any downloads that satisfy the requirement satchmo-indiapost
No distributions at all found for satchmo-indiapost

There is a packge with requested name on pypi, but pip doesn't even
looking for it.

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/satchmo_indiapost

Is underscore prohibited in the package names?

I usually find it convenient to name the package name same as the
python module. But I've seen people using CamelCase for package names
like Sphinx, Flask etc.

Are there any known guidelines for naming python packages uploaded to pypi?

Anand