[BangPypers] virtual-python & easy_install doubt

Ashutosh Narayan aashutoshnarayan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 07:48:02 CET 2011

Hi,

I am facing some issues w.r.t easy_install when I want to use
virtual-python environment.
I followed below mentioned link to set up virtual-python :

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#creating-a-virtual-python

OS: SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop
Python version: 2.6

I edited PYTHONPATH to something like this :

*>cat /etc/bash.bashrc.local *

export PYTHONPATH=.:/home/ashutoshn/lib/:$PYTHONPATH
export PATH=.:~/bin:/opt/local/bin:$PATH

Then I install setuptools by executing :

*> sh setuptools-0.6c11-py2.6.egg -d /home/ashutoshn/lib/*

The system now uses easy_install of the virtual-python environment.

*> which easy_install*

/home/ashutoshn/lib/easy_install

*>easy_install Pygments* *-d /home/ashutoshn/lib/python2.6/site-packages/*

I get the following error message :

*error: can't create or remove files in install directory

The following error occurred while trying to add or remove files in the
installation directory:

    [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/test-easy-install-27311.pth'

The installation directory you specified (via --install-dir, --prefix, or
the distutils default setting) was:

    /usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/

This directory does not currently exist.  Please create it and try again, or
choose a different installation directory (using the -d or --install-dir
option)*.

So, how does Python keep track of what directories are / are not enabled
for *.pth* processing ?

easy_install doesn't seem to work for me. Any suggestions / inputs ?

Thank you,
--
Ashutosh Narayan

http://ashutoshn.wordpress.com