[BangPypers] something in python similar to java applets

steve steve at lonetwin.net
Tue Sep 7 10:18:25 CEST 2010

Hello Naman,

On 09/06/2010 06:32 PM, naman jain wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to do something through python what applets do in java.
> Through a website I want people to log in and do some tests locally on their
> machines and send the results
> to the server.
>
> According to my understanding we have methods like applets or flash to do
> something
> locally on the client machine.
>
> Is there any way in python we can achieve it ?

The only reason why Java applets or Flash can 'do something locally on the
client machine' is because the browser 'allows' it do so use using plugins like
a Java runtime or a flash player. Basically, browsers by themselves are
incapable of executing any code(*). So, if you want to execute python code from
a browser, your clients would will need a browser that supports python runtime,
which afaik does not exist.

Most people use Javascript (which most people enable on their browsers these
days) for basic client side execution or Java/Flash, which have client side,
browser/runtime/OS specific quirks.

> I have my test scripts in python(which do some communication and file
> transfer to serial devices connected locally),  and I would like to avoid
> rewriting them in java.

Judging by what you require, you'd be better off creating a standalone
downloadable executable.

hth,
- steve

(*) HTML is not code and most (all?) browsers have a javascript engine to
execute javascript code.

--
random spiel: http://lonetwin.net/
what i'm stumbling into: http://lonetwin.stumbleupon.com/