[BangPypers] Any compiled all PEP's into pdf

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Fri May 28 09:09:14 CEST 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 10:41 AM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Anand Balachandran Pillai
> <abpillai at gmail.com> wrote:
> [..]
> >
> > This felt like a fun thing to do so I actually did it but not from
> > the PEPS index since it didn't give me text files but HTML files.
> > Thankfully the PEPS are available in text format from
> > http://svn.python.org/projects/peps/trunk/, so I just checked out
> > the text files and using some quick work ran text2pdf on
> > a single text file which I created by concatenating all PEP
> > files into a single text file in sorted order.
> [..]
>
> This is nice and your recipe is certainly useful.
>
> One small thing is that the PEPs are originally in rst format. The
> rst2pdf renderer (at http://code.google.com/p/rst2pdf/) is a reportlab
> based utility to compile rst files into pdf. It understands the markup
> and renders it properly (links, TOC etc.). It looks much  better than
> a raw text->pdf conversion. The crawling, combining still has to be
> done. I've compiled the first PEP here. Take a look
> http://nibrahim.net.in/pep-0001.pdf

Yeah, I noticed it was not pure text file and then upon
reading further figured out they were in RST format. But the
amount of work involved in converting the rst to pdf with
proper links/images etc makes this less fun, more hard work,
so I opted for the short-cut.

The PDF is very readable but no fancy, since it ignores
images embedded if any and also has these ugly rst headers
floating around. But enough for someone to understand the PEP
contents.

> --
> ~noufal
> http://nibrahim.net.in