[BangPypers] The merge : Unladen Swallow into CPython

Dhananjay Nene dhananjay.nene at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 14:27:06 CET 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 12:10 PM, Anand Balachandran Pillai <
abpillai at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.devel/109919
> >
> > Looks it's really lead laden rather than unladen. An interpreter binary
> is
> > over 100 MB (as opposed to the original CPython one which is less than
> 10).
> > More details in the PEP in the above email thread.
> >
> > I sense a disturbance in the force.
> >

>  I read through the entire thread. The PEP  is detailed, descriptive and
>  Collin has done a thorough job of discussing the pluses and minuses
>  of this approach. I don't see why the PEP should not be accepted.
>
>  What disappoints me is the amount of "performance improvement" they
>  have achieved. With most workloads he is testing on, what I see is an
>  average of 1.5x perf increase, that too on a super muscled box.  The
>  minuses are more what with the average memory increase of
>  2.5x and mammoth executable size of 128 MB on 64 bit!
>
>  Basically if Collin is expecting a warm hug from pydev for this PEP
>  he is never going to get it, at best a lukewarm response or most likely
>  a *shrug*.
>
> I think the comparison of a VM enhanced CPython vs. traditional CPython is
a little unfair when conducted from a binary size perspective (and not
particularly critical imo). The actual python application code binary size
isn't changing - which is what should matter.

I also believe the performance improvements talked about are perhaps only
the floor level improvements with many more to come over a period of time
(if Java VM performance improvements over time are anything to benchmark
by). If as suggested in the PEP the anticipated performance gains in the
future can exceed the 5x mark (a claim which would perhaps need some leap of
faith), then I for one would look forward to this.