[BangPypers] Python Jobs at Yahoo! Search Bangalore...

Doug Durham ddurham at yahoo-inc.com
Thu Feb 11 23:43:23 CET 2010

Greetings,

I'm Doug Durham, a Senior Manager at Yahoo! Search.  I'm located in
Sunnyvale California, but I'm looking to forming a new team in
Bangalore.  My team develops Python based feature extraction frameworks
for large scale analysis of search engine and user behavior.

Our development is all in Python using open source tools.  I am looking
for a manager and two engineers to found the team.  I am very interested
in filling the manager position since this will form the core of the
team.  If you are a manager or are a team lead interested in moving into
management send us your resume.  Of course developers should send their
resumes in too.

This is an opportunity to be in at the beginning of a new team doing
some very interesting Python work.  If you are interested please send
your resume to: Harsha Khattri (hkhattri at yahoo-inc.com).

Doug Durham
Senior Manager
Yahoo! Search

See the Job Descriptions below: (first the manager then the developer)

Position:   Engineering Manager, Yahoo Search Product - SAMA team
Location:  Bangalore, India

Do you feel that you have what it takes to positively affect the lives
of up to half a billion people? Does understanding the behavior of every
search engine in the world interest you? Is your idea of fun, thinking
about/reading on the web to understand where the next generation of the
internet is going towards? And, lastly, do you think that our mission of
finding, using, sharing and expanding the whole breadth of human
knowledge is a worthy goal to aspire to? Then, we would love to hear
from you and talk to you!

Yahoo! is the most popular internet brand in the world today with more
than half a billion users visiting our virtual door steps every month.
Yahoo's properties like mail, messenger, flickr and delicious are
leaders in their respective fields and our web search engine is one of
the most trafficked places in the web, across the world today.

Yahoo's Search and Advertising, Metrics and Analysis (SAMA) team builds
the tools and produces the analysis allow us to understand every search
engine on earth and grasp user experience at a deep level. Our job is to
build highly scalable systems that can obtain extremely high fidelity
snapshots of the state of search engines and how they react to user
behavior.  Imagine the job of disassembling the latest model of an
automobile to understand how it works in detail.  This is what we do for
the web. We dissect hundreds of thousands of web pages in exacting
detail with zero tolerance for errors.  Building this system throws up
challenges in data quality, scalability, and large scale data
management.

Our team is looking for a highly technical, energetic and passionate
individual who has shown demonstrated expertise in owning/managing
delivery of complex technical systems by working with a team of talented
engineers in the capacity of a technical manager. This person will be
responsible for founding a team to transfer and extend a sophistication
web feature extraction system from Yahoo! Sunnyvale.  This position
requires ongoing close collaboration with the SAMA team in Yahoo!
Sunnyvale to meet the data extraction needs for our ongoing
investigative work. The person in this position will have full ownership
for the architecture and technical direction of the product.  It is
expected that the manager will have a deep understanding of the
technical details of the product and work in a hands on manner with his
engineers.

Core responsibilities of this position:
* Hire, retain and manage a highly talented team of engineers ranging
from fresh college grads to seasoned developers.
* Set a vision for the team and evolve the roadmap of the products owned
by this team, by working closely with various stakeholders including
product management, research engineers and senior management.
* Develop and execute the process by which data is processed and
extracted to meet the aggressive evaluation needs of Yahoo! Sunnyvale.
* Understand and evolve the technical components and the architecture of
the systems owned by the team and maintain the highest standards of
quality for the work delivered by the team.

Required qualifications and experience:
* Bachelor's degree and/or a master's degree in computer science and
engineering, from a top tier institute, is required.
* At least 8+ years of experience, with 2+ years of it in engineering
management positions, would be required.
* Previous work experience in web technologies and/or ETL systems.
* Strong grasp of CS fundamentals, data structures and algorithms,
including recent hands-on experience in building and deploying complex
large scale systems would be required.
* Demonstrated experience in hiring and managing a team of about 2 - 6
engineers would be expected, as a minimum.
* Demonstrated ability in project management significant software
projects involving multiple dependencies and stakeholders would be
required.
* Previous experience in search technologies and data mining or
algorithmic work in these fields would be a huge plus, but not required.

Yahoo! Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.  For more information or
to search all of our openings, please visit http://careers.yahoo.com

Position:   Software Engineer, Yahoo Search Product - SAMA team
[...]

the tools and produces the analysis that allow us to understand every
search engine on earth and grasp user experience at a deep level. Our
job is to build highly scalable systems that can obtain extremely high
fidelity snapshots of the state of search engines and how they react to
user behavior.  Imagine the job of disassembling the latest model of an
automobile to understand how it works in detail.  This is what we do for
the web. We dissect hundreds of thousands of web pages in exacting
detail with zero tolerance for errors.  Building this system presents
challenges in data quality, scalability, and large scale data
management.

Our team is looking for a highly technical, energetic and passionate
individual who has shown demonstrated expertise in owning/managing
delivery of complex technical systems by working with a team of talented
engineers in the capacity of a software developer. This person will play
a key role in a new team being formed to transfer and extend a
sophistication web feature extraction system from Yahoo! Sunnyvale.
This position requires ongoing close collaboration with the SAMA team in
Yahoo! Sunnyvale to meet the data extraction needs for our ongoing
investigative work. The person in this position will play an important
role in developing the architecture and technical direction of the
product.  It is expected that the developer will participate in both the
development and ongoing operation of this product.

Core responsibilities of this position:
* Work closely with the team to update the abilities of the
sophisticated parsing framework at the heart of this product.
* Provide input on the technical direction of the product in both design
and implementation.
* Participate with the team in moving data through the system to meet
the needs of the Sunnyvale team.
* Utilize standard software engineering practices in design and
development and  maintain the highest standards of quality for the work
delivered by the team.

Required qualifications and experience:
* Bachelor's degree and/or a master's degree in computer science and
engineering, from a top tier institute, is required.
* At least 4+ years of software development experience.  Commercial use
of scripting languages such as Python or Ruby is a definite plus.
* Previous work experience in web technologies and/or ETL systems.
* Strong grasp of CS fundamentals, data structures and algorithms,
including recent hands-on experience in building and deploying complex
large scale systems would be required.
* Demonstrated ability for self directed work and in collaboration with
a team.