[BangPypers] Regarding Python popularity

Shashwat Anand anand.shashwat at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 12:28:47 CET 2010

<rant> Companies coming for hiring (campus-placement) never look the
knowledge of python as an additional advantage. Infact none of them care. I
check-listed the profile of all the 20+ companies which came and none of
them had to deal with anything python (except google, amazon, directi) and
even these three were indifferent towards python. One had to clear
written-round which consist of C/apti and then technical round consist of
C/C++/Java/DS/Algo/OS, finally HR round which is generally non-technical.
The skills they look for, python never fits into it.
Mine one of senior (at Amazon) suggested me "Go learn C++/ Java and improve
your DS/ Algo/ OS/OOP skills, and things of your interest can be done in
free time after you land a nice job." He does ruby stuff in his free time
and java at office.
Just wanted to say that for a student, who want ti get recruited via campus
placement knowledge of C/C++/Java is a must and the knowledge of python
doesn't even count. Sad :( </rant>