[BangPypers] using IPython from pdb

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 18:09:19 CET 2010

I'd recommend that you use standard email quotations. It makes for
better reading rather than the * notation that you've used to reply to
Senthil's mail.

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 7:45 PM, Jeffrey Jose <jeffjosejeff at gmail.com> wrote:
> [ caution, huge email follows ]
>
> Hey Senthil,
> I was under the impression that everyone here used and loved IPython. Boy,
> was I wrong.
> I wont attempt to convince you folks why you should use IPython, but here a
> few features that I love in IPython which are not there (or not  very
> obvious) in vanilla python interpreter.
>
> note: I'm using ">>" for prompt, you can always customize your IPython
> interpreter.
>
> *Tab completion*. I cant live without it.
>>> import sys
>>> sy<TAB>
>>> sys.<TAB>
> sys.foo sys.bar sys.baz

The vanilla Python interpreter can be customised to do this.
http://docs.python.org/library/rlcompleter.html

The Emacs integration of ipython is quite nice. I don't use it *that*
much but it's still pretty good especially to jump around a traceback
when your program crashes. I don't like leaving Emacs to do something
since I have to switch context. Being able to mess with your program
entirely from within is a convenience and the ipython.el module helps
quite a bit.

--
~noufal
http://nibrahim.net.in