[BangPypers] Wall street may embrace Python

Dhananjay Nene dhananjay.nene at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 10:40:21 CEST 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 2:02 PM, Anand Balachandran Pillai <
abpillai at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Dhananjay Nene <dhananjay.nene at gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Anand Balachandran Pillai <
> > abpillai at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/04/19/2114251/SEC-Proposes-Wall-Street-Transparency-Via-Python

> > Whoa! what becomes law ? From what i can understand it primarily refers
> > the preferred mechanism of documenting complex waterfall provisions, in
> > fiscal projections.

> > For what ? Are we getting far too ahead of ourselves. Any ballpark
> > quantification of "lot of Python programmer openings" ? This is in the
> > field
> > of fiscal modeling, not actual business applications (to the extent that
> > they are often but not necessarily distinct
> >

>  That was a tongue-in-cheek response. You didn't see the smiley
>  at  the end ?

Ahh.. missed it :)

> Btw, we are too early to guess-estimate any Python
>  programmer openings, but I was just having some fun when I wrote
>  about it. Surely, if SEC finally goes ahead and proposes Python
>  as its primary language of choice for such models, it doesn't
>  need much guess work to see that there will be demands for
>  people with talent in business rules and Python.

Business rules ? Thats probably a bigger scope than just saying fiscal
models and projections. The former could be interpreted to be useful in a
variety of scenarios, where as the latter is what is the primary focus here.

> project
> > > >>

> > > I don't see a normal business transaction processing runtime getting
> > influenced particularly. Python is a candidate for replacing what
> otherwise
> > is likely to be done through excel spreadsheets and then resummarised
> using
> > English.

> > >  Tweeters, please tweet this if you already haven't. Let us drive
> > >  some traffic to python dot org which apparently is already
> > >  seeing increased traffic since this hit /. (The "Slashdot effect"
> maybe
> > ?)
> > >
> > >  I see this as a good boost for the language's popularity, if nothing
> > >  else.
> > >

> > Are we getting way ahead by reading too much into this ?
> >

>  Yeah, maybe we are. But surely if you can't see the humour in
>  trying to use an open source language in specifying the
>  requirements of what was mostly very difficult to understand
>  requirements (which enabled these bankers to sell toxic assets
>  packaging them into very attractive market instruments), then
>  so be it.

Oh, I was excited at the thought. But more as someone interested in finance
not so much as a python programmer.

:)
Dhananjay