[BangPypers] Python at Schools

shameek ghosh shameek09 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 22:47:28 CEST 2009

Few months back I was tutoring a group of 6th standard studentss.So I
introduced programming by teaching them Alice - www.alice.org. And
then I realized that understanding "why to program?" was a lot more
important than "how to program?" - a confusion I had when in the 6th
standard.Though I enjoyed GWBASIC a lot then , I never really felt the
greater importance of programming until I was in my 2nd year of
college.So I
retracked and instead started with teaching them effective ways of
playing battleships using common search methods in algorithms
etc....just wanted to share a personal experience.[:)]

On 9/30/09, Amit Saha <lists.amitsaha at gmail.com> wrote:
> Srijayanth Sridhar wrote:
>> Not sure how many people here were taught Logo as their first language. I
>> was, and most people regard it as a toy language because most teachers
>> focus
>> exclusively on the graphical aspects of the language. However, few know
>> that
>> Logo was inspired by Lisp and can handle fairly decent logical stuff too.
>> would really like to see Logo used more fully in this regard.
>
> I, for one came to know this, well after 6 years of finishing my Class 12!
>
> -Amit
>>
>> Jayanth

> Journal: http://amitksaha.wordpress.com
> µ-blog: http://twitter.com/amitsaha
> IRC: cornucopic on #scheme, #lisp, #math, #linux

"A mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimensions"