[BangPypers] Can we create proprietary database in Python

Pradeep Gowda pradeep at btbytes.com
Sat Sep 26 21:57:10 CEST 2009

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Arun Python <arunpython at ymail.com> wrote:

> I am a novice to Python.  I have a few doubts.
> a) How useful is python in the development of database applications when
> compared to C++.
> b) Can we able to create proprietary or sequential database like in C++ in
> python for database applications which are not so huge.
>
> I would say Python is even more suited to develop database  applications
than C++.
0) Python dynamic typing, built-in datatypes and huge standard library will
make application development far more easier than bit-twiddling with C/C++.
1) Python has excellent libraries for all mainstream (and not so mainstream)
databases
2) in a DB-based app, the performance bottleneck is mostly due to the db &
network and not the run time speed of the language itself.

"sequential database" -- can you give an example? If you mean Object
Databases (viz., ZODB, Durus, DB4o) or key-value databases (viz., TokyoDB,
Mongo, Couch), python has plenty of such native libraries/drivers.

A specific problem you are trying to solve will yield better responses, IMO.

Happy hacking,
Pradeep