[BangPypers] Ideas for an opensolaris demo for web app developers

Sriram Narayanan sriramnrn at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 18:08:49 CEST 2009

All:

I'm glad that I was able to show case ZFS basics to you all.

Based on conversations that we had after the talk, Moinak and I have
decided to come up with a presentation aimed at web programmers
(mainly, Python web programmers).

My intent is to present the following:

- recreate an entire deployment scenario on your personal computer on
Belenix, where you use a form of light weight virtualization (zones)
to set up a MySQL zone, two app server zones running Django/something
else each, a Linux firewall zone that replicates the real world DMZ
scenario, an apache zone that has an apache load balancing between the
two Django zones.
- Back each zone with a ZFS file system
- Each Zone should have the same public IP address that you have in
the real world (to the extent that you even use the exact same
firewall rules).
- Use DTrace to diagnose the app in each zone
- Snapshot the zone's file system, and then deploy the Zone onto
another computer.

One could do most of the above using VMWare, except that here, we do
all of the above on our laptops/desktops without the over head of
VMWare.

I'd like to know if there's any sample web application that you'd like
to see deployed in the example above.

Please let me know if you'd like to have something else in the dem,
and Moinak and I will figure out a way to incorporate all change
requests.

Thanks.

-- Sriram