[BangPypers] But IDEs rock! (was Google Go)

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 17:01:24 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 8:06 PM, Darkseid <lorddaemon at gmail.com> wrote:

>> 2. It's easy to hire an IDE-aware monkey to do programming in "proven
>> technology"
>
> I do most of my work in Ruby (and have done for a few years now). Every day
> I bemoan the lack of a powerful refactoring IDE like Java has in IntelliJ. A
> good IDE is a massive productivity booster; you can only get so far with a
> text editor*, no matter how many macros you have set up. Honestly.[..]

Good editor support is definitely a productivity booster.

However, the OP's point is something I agree with. Too many people
come out these days whose experience in 'enterprise application
development' is to click on a few "Next>" buttons on a wizard and then
cut/paste some code. These people are slaves to their IDEs rather than
efficient users of a tool. That is something which I don't really
admire.

--
~noufal
http://nibrahim.net.in