[BangPypers] Joins with Django

Praveen Kumar praveen.python.plone at gmail.com
Wed May 6 12:01:17 CEST 2009

Hi Puneeth
select_related() follows all relationships and pre-caches any foreign key
values so that complex trees can be fetched in a single query. However, this
isn’t always a good idea, so the depth argument control how many “levels”
the select-related behavior will traverse.
I could have write the query for you but if you refer this doc link
http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/models/select_related/ and try
with yourself then will be good as you are trying to learn Django.
Thanks

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Puneet Aggarwal <look4puneet at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am trying to learn django and write a small application. I am facing
> issue in executing a join with django.
> I am able to find a work around by executing a raw SQL query using cursor.
> But that have problem that I need to access fields using
> "object.0' or 'object.1'  which is too verbose and error prone.
>
> Is there better way of doing the same thing or executing joins using Django
> models.
>
> here is my table structure
>
> table 1 : Company
> id = IntField
> name = CharField
>
> table 2 : Schmes
> id = Int field
> Name = CharFiled
> comp_id = ForeignKey (company)
>
> table 3 : Price
>
> scheme_id = ForeignKey(Schemes)
> price          = CharField()
> Date          = DateTimeField()
>
> I want to execute a query on the price table where I can select the price
> of all the schemes for the specified company.
>
> something like this if I write SQL :
>
> select price from Price, Schemes, Company where Price.scheme_id = Scheme.id
> and Scheme.comp_id = Company.id and Company.id = 1.
>
> Thanks,
> Puneet

Praveen Kumar
+91 9739854134