[BangPypers] Responding to people who lack the curiosity

Srijayanth Sridhar srijayanth at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 08:51:34 CEST 2009

Yeah, I second your thoughts on incompetence. My company's conducting
interviews of freshers, and you'll be amazed at the answers I get for "What
is a hash table?". One bright bulb answered it with "It is a hash function
table". My standard opening interview question is to ask them to write a
simple C program that reverses a string. Most get that wrong. In two years,
I've only seen about 10 candidates get that right.

I've come to lament the factory like nature of IT in India. People learn
extremely minimal subset of specialized skills. I've had chaps who can't see
beyond .NET or Java very simply because these are industry idioms. I tell
them stuff about perl, python or ruby and I get back "but those are
scripting languages".

Jayanth