[BangPypers] Detailed talk on the GIL

Senthil Kumaran orsenthil at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 20:50:45 CEST 2009

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 07:23:59PM +0530, Roshan Mathews wrote:
> >> What are the odds, I just downloaded this for later viewing yesterday. :)
> >>
> > Weird, I viewed the video a bit today morning.
> >
> "memes" I think these are called.  :)

Every one suddenly getting interested in concurrency and coroutines might
make 'that concept' a meme.

But in this case, the odds should follow the logic of Birthday Paradox.
(like how many people should be in a classroom so that you have more
than 50% chance of atleast two people sharing the same birthday. The
Answer in 23).

In a hypothetical scenario, if all bangpypers were watching only python
videos on a particular day, we have more than 50% chances of having
ANY two watching the same video is like this:

n(n-1)/2 = V

Where n is number of bangpypers and V is the number of Python videos.

Trying some actual numbers.

If there are 200 bangpypers, there is there is more than 50% chance of
two people watching the same video if number of python videos are 19900.

Wow! That's pretty high. :)

--
Senthil
If you keep anything long enough, you can throw it away.