[BangPypers] how to learn programming

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Sat Jan 24 14:42:38 CET 2009

On Saturday 24 Jan 2009 5:09:29 pm Sridhar Ratnakumar wrote:
> Learning low-level programming constructs are certainly useful
> especially in systems programming and writing high performance code.
> What is puzzling me is the claim that these constructs will make one a
> better programmer.

what is the difference between a programmer and a person who writes code? Is
there a difference? I was told that learning to write code can be done in a
few weeks, but to become a programmer will take at least 10 years. I was also
told that learning to play golf takes a few months - but becoming a golfer
would take at least 10 years. As far as golf is concerned, there is a clear
distinction between technical ability and an overall integration into the
spirit of the game. I wonder if the same applies to the concept of a
programmer. Especially an open source programmer where success implies
technical skills + the ability to work in a collaborative environment, not
get angry with criticism, ability to mobilise the end user as a developmental
partner, write code that anyone can maintain - etc etc., comment and document
the code you write, respect RFCs and PEPs.

--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves