[BangPypers] Python use in IT service sector

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 14:17:49 CET 2009

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Venkatraman S <venkat83 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/11/09, Bharat Pathak <bharat_pathak at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>      In  one of the bloggers and fan of python he
>>      had evaluated speed of Matlab, C++ and Python.
>>      The graph goes like this.
>>
>>      Matlab -----------> C++ --------------> Python
>>
>>      Python being fastest.
>
> I am not sure whether i understand this statement right - the
> statement is flawed if you had taken either of the development times
> or the running times as the basis.
> But let me clarify it in my own terms :
>
> 'Good' C++ is the fastest above; if you write crappy c++ then the
> binary is huge and also the running times are NOT as one would expect
> from C++. C++ is a very tricky language, but once learnt, it is sheer
> ecstacy.

I came to Python via the C/C++ route. Spent 5-6 years in C programming
and another 3-4 years in C++ (overlapping with C) and then discovered
Python.

I have found myself most productive in Python and C. C++ is one
language which takes a long time to get specialized in. C++ is ecstasy
only if you are a master with templates and can work magic with them.
Otherwise it is more like torture!

> The integration of Python and C/C++ is one of the most beautiful thing
> that man has ever created :P One gets to harness the speed(runtime) of
> c++ and the fast development time of Python.

+1. I have not written C++ extensions but have written C ones using the
swig wrapper. The C/Python API is really powerful.

> --
> -V-
> Blog @ http://blizzardzblogs.blogspot.com

-Anand