[BangPypers] PyCon India Proposal

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 08:26:50 CET 2009

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 12:07 PM, VidA <vid at svaksha.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 09:28, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:
> [..]
>
> 0. Should'nt this page include the proposed dates (September 4,5,6
> (Baiju M)) or is that still under discussion ?

Makes sense. I will add that as well.

> 1. The Aims listed on the Draft page are huge in terms of scope and
> would take more than one conference to achieve.

Best aim for the stars. In any case, I wanted to start us off. I'm not
really clear on what a 'proposal' should contain as of now. We should trim
down the aims though.

> 2. Would this be held only in Bangalore or would it be possible for
> local groups in different cities to hold their own 1/2/3 day events?

I'm not sure if any of the other python groups in India are planning a
conference, if so, I think we should talk with them to decide the venue. If
not, we can (atleast this year) hold it in BAngalore somewhere.

> The "ProposalForPyConIndia" wiki page has a community discussion
> section with varying opinions. Before editing I wanted to clarify the
> following:
>
> 0. Earlier discussions on this list gave an impression of the conf
> being open to all (read newbies) but this is not clear on this wiki
> page. Has that changed?

I think it should not become a "Newbies only" thing. People who have been
hacking python for a long time should have good reason to come as well as
the newbie.

> 1. Please clarify/define "dedicated conference". (As in, is the pyconf
> open to people like me who "dont code for a living" and yet grok
> technical concepts?)

*Dedicated* meaning that we're not planing to be part of a larger event like
foss.in. *Conference* meaning that we have a structure and some formality as
opposed to barcamp.

> +1 for the low budget, sans swag concept but some clarity on what is
> the scope of the event, since its being held here for the first time,
> would be a lot nicer.  The conf planning page was a nice read :) so
> how about a "volunteers" page ?

Youre' right. We should try to keep the costs low. I however don't want to
miss anything which we want and hence went for a rather over the board
proposal (as you've noted). Let's work on trimming it down.

--
~noufal