[BangPypers] Tuples vs Lists, perfromance difference

Navin Kabra navin.kabra at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 09:36:31 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Senthil Kumaran <orsenthil at gmail.com>wrote:

> > Also interesting stuff about the Java comparison. The question remains,
> why
> > the JVM is so fast and why Python is not as far as JVM? I am sure there
> must
> > be a ton of info on this over the net :)

Java is statically typed. Which means that the compiler (and the JIT
compiler) has lots of information available to it. Lots of bindings can be
done at compile time. Lots of optimizations can be done at compile time. And
even more optimizations can be made at runtime. Much of that is just not
possible in Python. No amount of compiler improvements and optimizations can
change this.

navin.