[BangPypers] Tuples vs Lists, perfromance difference

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 08:35:23 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 12:52 PM, Vishal <vsapre80 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [..]
>
> Also interesting stuff about the Java comparison. The question remains, why
> the JVM is so fast and why Python is not as far as JVM? I am sure there
> must
> be a ton of info on this over the net :)

This came up (albeit in a tangential fashion) during the "Google
discouraging Python" thread a while ago.
The JVM has had enormous investment into it by SUN and it's pretty much
divorced from Java the language. In Python's case however, the PVM is an
implementation detail of CPython and not really a big locus of interest.

Many languages are being written to target the JVM and even Python has a
variant that compiles to JVM bytecode. Contrast this to the PVM which has
only Python running on it.

Also, the PVM is a pretty simple stack based VM as far as I know. It was
written to be simple rather than fast. Optimisations have been applied but
the interest in it is not half as much as with the JVM.

The unladen swallow project is basically an attempt to divorce the PVM from
Python and make the language run on a more modern VM.

--
~noufal
http://nibrahim.net.in