[BangPypers] Autocompletion in emacs

Pradeep Gowda pradeep at btbytes.com
Fri May 23 14:14:55 CEST 2008

On 23-May-08, at 8:07 AM, Nishith Nand wrote:

> I am a python beginner. I found the auto completion feature that
> IDEs like SPE provide, wherein when you type, for example, "gtk.",
> it shows you the list of available function calls in a dropdown
> box, pretty useful. Especially when the function description is
> also shown as a tooltip. So, I was looking for something like that
> in emacs.
>
> Anand Balachandran Pillai <abpillai at gmail.com> wrote:
> Isn't M-x dabbrev-expand good enough ?

I think he wants to have "Intellisense" as in visual studio/eclipse
etc.,
I have not had much use for intellisense so far (python shell with
help, __doc__ and dir() have been sufficient).
my attempt at using rope emacs, pymacs has not worked. Will give it a
shot again.

But, to continue with Anand's suggestion, I found yasnippet http://
code.google.com/p/yasnippet to be a great extension for textmate like
snippet features.
One types def and <TAB> and the snippets expands to
def fn():
    '''
    '''
with subsequent <TAB> taking you to the right places.